GENEVA GARDEN CLUB BYLAWS
As of November, 2012
ARTICLE – 1 – NAME AND PURPOSE
Section 1: The name of the organization shall be Geneva Garden Club.
Section 2: The purpose of this organization shall be the advancement of gardening; development of home grounds; community beautification; beautification along highways; protection of forests, wild flowers and birds; and transaction of any and all business pertaining to this purpose. The club also holds and participates in garden walks and flower shows for the education of its members and the public.
ARTICLE II – MEMBERSHIP, DUES AND FINANCE
Section 1: Membership shall be open to all persons interested in the work of the club. Each member must actively support and participate in the annual fund raising projects and serve on committees as assigned.
Section 2: A member may sponsor one new member each year. Each prospective new member must have attended at least two Geneva Garden Club meetings prior to sponsorship. Each application must be in writing and signed by the co-sponsor. It should be sent to the Membership Chair who will present it to the Board of Directors for approval. Each member may co-sponsor one new candidate per year. Members joining after January 1 will pay half the annual dues.
Section 3 : There will be the following classes of membership:
- Active members will pay yearly dues as set by the Board, due by May 1st for the upcoming fiscal year. All active Geneva Garden Club members have an obligation to serve when called, on all civic endeavors, as a host and for fund raising projects.
- Inactive members shall have been active members, for not less than five (5) years and shall pay annual dues as set by the Board, due by May 1st for the upcoming fiscal year. Inactive members shall have no voting powers and are not assigned to any club projects, although they may volunteer at any time. They will receive all club mailings.
- Honorary members shall be elected by the Board in recognition of outstanding service and shall pay no dues.
Section 4 : One guest day a year shall be designated by the Board. Guests and proposed new members will be welcome at any open meeting providing the Hospitality Chair has been notified.
ARTICLE III – FISCAL YEAR AND MEETINGS
Section 1: The fiscal year shall be from September 1 through August 31. The annual meeting shall be held in May unless otherwise specified by the Board.
Section 2: Special meetings of Geneva Garden Club may be called by the President of the Board.
Section 3: The Board of Directors shall meet prior to each meeting as scheduled by the President.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS, DUTIES, AND POWERS
Section 1 : The officers shall be: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2: A candidate for President shall have served two (2) years on the Board. The President shall preside at all meetings of the membership, Board of Directors, and shall be an ex-officio member of all committees. The President shall also appoint the chairs of standing and special committees. The term of presidency will be two (2) years.
Section 3 : The Vice President shall perform the duties of the President during the President’s absence or at the President’s request. The Vice President shall be the Chair of the Program Committee and prepare the printed calendar/yearbook.
Section 4: The Secretary shall keep the minutes of Geneva Garden Club and Board of Director meetings and shall conduct the correspondence. The Secretary will send notices and be responsible for all stationary and printing.
Section 5: The Treasurer shall be the custodian of all monies. The Treasurer shall receive all funds paid to Geneva Garden Club and shall deposit such funds in the name of Geneva Garden Club in such bank as the Board may designate. The Treasurer shall pay all bills after these bills have been certified and approved for payment by the chair of the committee incurring the bill, or the Board. The Treasurer shall keep full and accurate books containing a record of all monies received and disbursed. The books of the Treasurer shall be reviewed by the President and Treasurer at the end of each fiscal year.
ARTICLE V – BOARD OF DIRECTORS: DUTIES AND POWERS
Section 1: The Board of Directors will consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and the Chair of each Standing Committee.
Section 2: The Board shall pass on all matters relevant to expenditure of money and fill all vacancies.
Section 3: The Standing Committee Chair shall select the members of their committees. Their duties shall be as follows:
- The Civic Chair shall investigate areas of the community, which would benefit from Geneva Garden Club support and will bring these facts to the attention of the Board for consideration and action.
- The Scholarship Chair will present the scholarship opportunity to the Publicity Chair and to the local schools, with the application and pertinent information. The Chair will read and assess the submitted applications for presentation to the board for final selection, and notify all candidates of the board’s decision.
- The Legislation Chair shall supervise and propose changes to the by-laws as may seem necessary, presenting them to the Board and Geneva Garden Club for approval. The Legislation Chair sees the by-laws are upheld. The Legislation Chair shall keep Geneva Garden Club current with Garden Club of Illinois policies and measures they are supporting. This chair will automatically be the Past President.
- The Membership Chair shall present the letters of application to the Board for approval. The Membership Chair will be responsible for keeping a current membership list, collecting dues, and issuing dues notices.
- The Hospitality Chair shall provide locations and hosts for all meeting and events.
- The Publicity Chair shall arrange for publicity and will keep the interests of Geneva Garden Club before the public.
- The Historian Chair will keep current the historical records and scrapbooks and coordinate with the Geneva History Center regarding archived information.
- The Assemblage Chair will provide notification for meetings and other special events.
- Chair of any current special projects: Money making projects, Arbor Day, flower shows and other special projects will have a chair appointed by the President and that chair will be included on the Board during the time their project is active.
Section 4: Special committees shall be appointed by the President with the consent of the Board of Directors.
Section 5: Each chair shall give a written report at the annual meeting, such reports to be passed on to the incoming President, with a duplicate for the incoming chair.
ARTICLE VI – CUSTODIAN
This appointee shall record, maintain, and organize the various properties of Geneva Garden Club (ex. Flower Show stands and props). This is not a Board position.
ARTICLE VII – NOMINATIONS AND ELECTION
At the February meeting a nominating committee consisting of three (3) members, at least one of whom shall be a current Board member, shall be announced by the President. The names of the candidates selected by this committee shall be read at the April meeting. Nominations may be read from the floor after the slate has been announced. Installation of officers shall take place at the annual meeting.
ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the by-laws may be proposed and read at any meeting and shall require an affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members present for adoption.
ARTICLE IX – QUORUM
Section 1: Eighteen (18) members of the voting body shall constitute a quorum.
Section 2: Five (5) members of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.